Prev: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System Next: [GZG] Testing again.....

Re: [GZG] A New Screen System

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:40:32 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System

-----Original Message-----

Well, while it's true that I personally made significant use of all of
these, B2s usually were a fallback if somebody actually lived long
enough to get close.  The fighter defenses in our games were always
strong enough that standard fighters literally never won a single game.
As in, zero.  They just didn't have enough striking power against ships
that they were ever considered a stand-alone weapon, they died too fast.

B2s made very frequent appearances in our games, but they were always
considered a fallback weapon to peck away at somebody if they got
through the main weaponry.

Plasma bolts, I agree, they're almost too good, in a way, particularly
if you use them together with other weapons (particularly fighters).

>The numerous screen-skipping weapons in Full Thrust fall in three
categories:

>* Direct-fire single-shot weapons  (SMP, MKP) with short range and
narrow
>fire arcs. They pack a great punch if they get to fire at all, but they

>also restrict the user to very predictable tactics and forces him into
>prime B2 killing range.

Yeah, we didn't make much use of these, pretty much ever.

>* Direct-fire multi-shot weapons (K-guns, P-torps, Needle beams).
Averaged
>over range these weapons inflict at best 80% as much damage per weapon
cost
>against unscreened targets as similarly-ranged beam batteries do, and
often
>less. IOW, if your opponent uses these weapons to counter your screens,
he
>voluntarily gives up some 20-30% of his potential (ie., beam) firepower

>against *all* your ships (including those escorts that are too small to

>carry screens at all) in order to avoid having his beam firepower
reduced
>by 20-30% against *some* of your ships (ie. the ones that have
screens)...
>Awesome plan?

Yeah, but this is still enough that the screens themselves take enough
mass away from weapons payload that the pulse torpedoes are still
worthwhile.  Needle beams were another weapon that, in the right place,
were very devastating at times.  I've seen whole games won by cloaked
ships slipping behind an enemy and needling out their drives.

>* Placed-marker 'single-shot' weapons (SMs, HMs, torpedo fighters) that
>a greater or lesser extent have to predict the target's manoeuvres to
hit
>and pray that they aren't smothered by the targets' PDSs or equivalent.

>Screens don't defend against these weapons, that's true - you'll have
>rely on manoeuvre, false targets (BJs) and point-defences for that...
but
>since this is an even narrower selection of weapons than the ones
screens
>protect against, missiles and torpedo fighters by themselves hardly
make
>screens useless :-/

Salvo missiles tend to be hit-or-miss, yes.  We almost never used heavy
missiles.  But I'm frankly laughing at you on torpedo bombers.	Torpedo
bombers were EASILY the most powerful striking weapon in our games,
all-time, period.  They didn't work in stand-alone, they were always
combined with something else.  Early on it was other fighters to screen
against enemy fighters and to divert fighter defenses, and the torpedo
bombers would destroy half or more of the opposing fleet by themselves
and then reload on the carriers to destroy the other half.  Eventually
anti-fighter phalanxes got prevalent enough as a result that I started
using plasma bolts to discourage them, and it _might_ have gotten to a
point that plasma bolts might have even become more popular.  But even
at that, plasma bolts never convinced anybody to break formation because
we knew that torpedo bombers (or even just standard fighters, if they
were still alive) would tear the stragglers to ribbons for fun.

>>(It may shock you all to know that I almost never used screens in my
ship
>>designs for mostly these reasons...)

>That *is* a bit surprising, considering that those designs of yours
that I
>can find described on this list were said to carry level-2 screens...
(IIRC
>for protection against plasma bolts, which you and your opponent seemed
>be quite fond of at the time.) But if you say so <shrug>

I just pulled my old notebook of ship designs out of the heaps.  My
favorite line of ships that was most powerful had 26 different ship
designs that I kept.  Four of 'em had screens, all of them superships.
In more normal sized ship designs, I basically never considered screens
to be worthwhile for the mass they took away from weapons payload.

Prev: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System Next: [GZG] Testing again.....