Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] New-style FSE SDN ready!! :-) Next: [GZG] Shrinkage question

[GZG] Re: So many questions

From: David Billinghurst <davebill@c...>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 22:09:35 +1200
Subject: [GZG] Re: So many questions

Hi James,

Always good to see another Kiwi on the list :)	I'm based in Auckland
and
play with a couple of friends who, like me, are all old Traveller hands.
first saw Full Thrust played at the Auckland Wargame club a few years
back,
but by the time I had some ships, people were playing other things.  I
know
there's at least one Sa'Vaku and one NSL fleet kicking around, and
several
Battlefleet Gothic fleets (the Games Workshop spaceship game, if you
haven't
come across it - BTW, the rules for Battlefleet Gothic are available as
pdfs
on GWs Speciality Shop site, and, while rather silly, IMHO, do include a

rather nice little campaign system, which is worth a look at).

As my friends were only vaguely interested in FT, I went the 'opposing
forces' route and put together two basic fleets so I could drag them
into
playing, and this has worked well as one of them bought a Japanese
fleet,
and both are playing in a campaign I'm running.  I have expanded my
basic
fleets over the last few years and now can float ESU, Kra'Vak, UNSC (the

Beta rules for them are on Star Ranger's site - Dean, the owner, posts
here
and may oblige with the URL :) ), FSE, and Islamic Federation (still
being
painted).  I would suggest getting a basic fleet pack for two sides that

interest you (which is usually a battleship, a couple of cruisers, a
couple
of destroyers, and some frigates), get them at least under-coated and
based,
and then start playing.  If you can drag a couple of friends along for a

trial game, you might get at least one who will either take one of the
basic
packs off your hands, or buy a pack of his/her own.

I've sourced figures both from Eureka Miniatures in Australia and from
GZG
in the UK - my last order of UNSC ships from the UK took 5 days from
ordering on-line until the figures were in my letter box!  With the
current
exchange rate and the fact that Jon off-sets postage with VAT, it is
actually cheaper to order direct, even though Nic at Eureka also gives
good
service.  Also, Jon doesn't charge for ship bases :).

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like any help.

Regards

David

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] New-style FSE SDN ready!! :-) Next: [GZG] Shrinkage question