Prev: RE: Re: RE: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:14:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

He's just one of those guys who likes numbers and detail.  C'mon,
you're telling me nobody on this list has gone to a convention and
encountered at least one argument about something like the exact
muzzle velocity of an 88mm Flak?  (Or, some of the conversations
we've had here on this list.  (8-) )

I don't think you could be a wargamer and NOT have a mind for detail
to a certain level, and Weber's a sci-fi wargamer.

Compare and contrast this to Weber's fantasy novels (Bahzell) --
he can write without being pedantic. It's obvious there's been a lot
of background work done, but, you don't get the same level of detail
that you get out of Honorverse stuff.  (e.g. This group took exactly
this many days to cross Dwarvenhame, or that this legion has exactly
this many men in this many units, etc).

With Honor, Weber's caught in two traps -- he's written so many books,
he's having a hard time coming up with new stuff, and he's trapped in
the style set from the first book, so, he probably feels the need to
continuing writing in that style even though he's evolved as a writer
in twenty years.  Especially in the Honorverse where technology plays a
major role in the plot, and he has to keep coming up with new gizmos to
maintain tension in the naval battles, which features prominently in the
overall story.	*shrug*

JGH

laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
> I think it's to show that he really did the math on how long it takes
to achieve a zero/zero intercept with Ship A starting at point X with
velocity N and accelerating at 178g's and ship B starting velocity P at
point Y with 531g acceleration.

>> Any conspiracy theories on the significance of the number he does
use?

>> Michael Brown
>> mwsaber6@msn.com

Bolo
>> novels were excellent.
>>
>> I dunno about those, but the Saganami Island one where they're
annexing the
>> Talbott Cluster would be 100% better if it had 30% less dialog. And
if he
>> didn't have the fixation on precise numbers. "Are they Peeps or
pirates?
>> We'll find out in 104 minutes". Sheesh.

Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"Wake me, let me see the daylight, save me from this half-life;
			     Let's you and I escape, escape from
time..."
					     -- Duncan Sheik,
"Half-life"

Prev: RE: Re: RE: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse