Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice... Next: [GZG] Full Thrust:trading card maker sample FT card

RE: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:27:30 +1000
Subject: RE: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

At 8:09 PM +0100 5/4/07, CS Renegade wrote:

>>  Carriers fired missile swarms in The Sandman, The Tinman,
>>  and the BettyB, which sound like FT salvo missiles.
>
>I thought I had read all the Merchanter / Company Wars
>books. Which one do those ships appear in?

"The Sandman, the Tinman, and the BettyB" is a short story
that I have in "The Collected Short Fiction of CJ Cherryh"
and is listed as first published in "Daw 30th Anniversary
Science Fiction".

Without (I hope) spoiling the story, it's set in Pell
system many years after the war. A few quotes:

'Cigar-shape head-on.  Cigar-shape with deflecting planes
all over it.'

'The inert, the bullet coming their way, was high-v and
high-mass, a solid chunk of metal that might have been
traveling for fifty years and more, an iron slug fired by
a long-lost warship in a decades-ago war. Didn't need a
warhead. Inerts tended to be far longer than wide because
the fire mechanism in the old carriers stored then in
bundles and fired them in swarms, but no matter how it was
orientated when it hit, it was a killer.'

'Velocity and vector depended on the ship that, somewhere
out there, fifty and more years ago, had fired what might
be one, or a dozen inerts.

'The big ships had guns. Guns could deal with an inert.'

David Weber would have provided the mark number, date of
introduction, acceleration and duration, etc.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice... Next: [GZG] Full Thrust:trading card maker sample FT card