Prev: [GZG] Latest rev of the 'Beta Fighter Rules'? Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse

[GZG] AAR: grasers without re-rolls

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:08:56 +1000
Subject: [GZG] AAR: grasers without re-rolls

Since Feb 2006 I have played six battles with an all-graser
fleet, sizes from 1800 to 3000 point, against three different
opponents. I used modified UNSC rules, no re-rolls on a 6 but
still mass x 4 in cost.

The ships are Babylon 5 Shadows, if you're curious:
<http://members.ozemail.com.au/~laranzu/fullthrust/B5/shadows/>

Eliminating re-rolls on grasers solves all the difficulties
with overkill that I've complained about in the past. (See
the list archives for Feb 2006.) Grasers remain a dangerous
weapon, but without the re-rolls you don't get destroyers
vapourising cruisers or cruisers vapourising battleships
with a single volley.

Without re-rolls the graser-1 costs are just right. The
graser-2 is perhaps slighly oversize, and perhaps should
be reduced to 8 mass instead of 9. (It would be neater too,
as then a G2 is 1/3rd of a G3.) But I don't feel strongly
about this.

None of my battles involved graser-3s, but my impression
is that the mass (24) is still right for something that
can blow noticeable holes in ships at 54 MU.

On the points cost, I strongly believe it should remain at
mass x 4, not mass x 3. Grasers are more effective than
beams: they are armour piercing and they deliver bigger
hits much more often. Most Fleet Book 1 ships would become
more dangerous if the beam-1s and beam-2s were replaced by
the equivalent mass of graser-1s.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: [GZG] Latest rev of the 'Beta Fighter Rules'? Next: Re: [GZG] Thrusting in the Cherryverse