Prev: Re: [GZG] Pi Day Next: Re: [GZG] Re: NSL Ship Names

[GZG] Re: NSL Ship Names

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:17:08 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [GZG] Re: NSL Ship Names

Stealing a leaf from the Japanese book and following a
scheme for the names, so for example
super-dreadnoughts are named for states (Länder?).
Other classes could be named for cities, towns,
heroes, rivers, lakes, gods and so on.

I used names plundered from the Austro-Hungarian
section of Conway’s All the Worlds Fighting Ships for
the ships when I did our last Full Thrust campaign so
it would be worth another look. I started with DD
names from the ill-fated WW II German DDs as I
happened to have a library book on them out at the
time but I was careful to avoid any names which had
associations with the Nazi era though this still left
most of the famous WW II Kriegsmarine ship names free
as they had more honorable origins.

Wikipedia has some good stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_Navy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Austro-Hungarian_Navy

The idea of a class of scouts named for runners
appeals to me though it is not a very NSL thing. You
could have the Pheidippides class which includes –
well the only runner I can name is Jesse Owens and he
was American but you get the idea.

Valkyrie class scout.

For example.
A little bit of theft from Wikipedia produces:
Super-Dreadnoughts (Länder class):
Baden-Württemberg
Bayern
Berlin
Brandenburg
Bremen
Hamburg
Hessen
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Niedersachsen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
Rheinland-Pfalz
Saarland
Sachsen
Sachsen-Anhalt
Schleswig-Holstein
Thüringen
This would probably be changed by the time of the
official setting of Full Thrust but someone who knows
more can handle that.

I cannot see the new ships yet, the Star Ranger page
is filtered here in work and I am out tonight so it
will be Thursday before I get to see them.

Michael

It is by my order and for the good of the state that the bearer of this
has done what he has done.
  - Richelieu

Prev: Re: [GZG] Pi Day Next: Re: [GZG] Re: NSL Ship Names