Prev: Re: [GZG] New NSL ship naming...? Next: [GZG] First look at new NSL ships! :-)

Re: [GZG] New NSL ship naming...?

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:02:29 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] New NSL ship naming...?

> I'm calling for suggestions for NAMES for the new-construction NSL
> that are currently on the slips - ones that sound good for the NSL
> feel of Austro-Prussian Military, but don't clash with the old
> design names.

I don't know where to look to see if it's already been used, but
you've *got* to find room for probably the greatest of all the
Hapsburg generals: Prinz Eugen (AKA Prince Eugene of Savoy, Principe
Eugenio di Savoia and Prinz Eugen von Savoyen). A heavy cruiser or
battlecruiser would suit his fast-moving, hard-hitting style. As far
as I know, he's the only person after whom *four* navies have named
warships: The British monitor HMS Prince Eugene, the Austro-Hungarian
battleship Prinz Eugen, the German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen and the
Italian light cruiser Eugenio di Savoia.

> In college, I had a friend who hated the way 'mericans said
> Napoleon, but
> he never took the effort to say Eth-pan-ya for France's neighbor.
> *shrug*

Personally I'm all in favour of Anglicisations (or rather "local"
names generally, after all the French call London "Londres" and
England "Angleterre". It seems particularly stupid to worry about
changing the spelling of foreign place names, but still pronounce
them incorrectly. As my Chinese friends point out, what was the point
of changing from Peking to Beijing and then pronouncing it
incorrectly as "Beige-ing" (like pretty much any news-anchor in the
English-speaking world)?

Best regards, Robert Bryett.

Prev: Re: [GZG] New NSL ship naming...? Next: [GZG] First look at new NSL ships! :-)