Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:32:31 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

 > I just played a short game of Attack Vector: Tactical.  At first
glance, AV:T seems to be proof positive that geeks will indulge in all
manner of cerebral abuse if it is labelled as a game. <

Dunno about AV:T, but my son describes the Saganami Island game, which
is based on it, as something very like that...

 > The movement system is vector based, straightforward, 3D, on a hex
map, and actually playable. [...] Compare this to vector movement from
FB1. [...] All that it would take to adapt this into an even more
optional movement system for FT is a set of pivot tables for changing
the facing of the ships, possibly based on a combination of thrust and
mass points-- large, low thrust ships take the longest to come about and

small, high thrust ships pivot fastest. But all ships should be able to
swap ends in the space of a turn. <

Is that really needed in FT, given the assumed timescale -- 10-15
minutes per game-turn, isn't it? While I won't argue that the AV:T
linear movement system wouldn't be an interesting addition to FT, do we
need to worry about it in terms of pivoting (as distinct from turning as

a function of thrusting to change the velocity vector), particularly
since ships only fire once per turn and that's after movement? Unless
we're going to go to an impulse-based system with multiple
move-and-shoot opportunities during a game-turn, does it make sense to
concern ourselves overly with ship rotation? With the FT sequence of
play as it is, does it make sense to consider pivoting in any other
context than i) turn to thrust; ii) turn to shoot -- in that order?

I know it's all optional, but perhaps it's getting too pedantic to worry

about angular momentum in FT with the game as it is now -- and that is
unlikely to alter /that/ much in 3rd edition.

Still, from what you say, AV:T looks to be worth checking out.

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems