Prev: [GZG] Do chits give you the sh**s? (was: [Aliens] was FMA at EEC etc.] Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: [GZG] Do chits give you the sh**s? (was: [Aliens] was FMA at EEC etc.]

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:17:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Do chits give you the sh**s? (was: [Aliens] was FMA at EEC etc.]

On 3/1/07, Robert N Bryett <rbryett@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I first played SGII, I thought "ugh" about the chits on
> aesthetic grounds, but I've come to believe that they're probably the
> least-bad solution. It is trivial to replace chits that represent
> something physical (a missile, smoke etc.) with more scenic markers,
> but abstract states such as suppression, activation etc. are more
> difficult.

Activation is easy. I use model railroad rocks. For suppression, I use
a bullet-shaped pellet gun pellet. I'm thinking of mounting them on
washers. I'm still debating the way to handle the confidence and
leadership chits. I have my figures mounted on washers. I last tried a
magnetic strip (the kind they make fridge magnets from) with these
little dots I made from coloured paper glued to another strip. It sort
of worked, but changing the numbers was finicky. I'm thinking that the
best bet might be to print the leadership on coloured paper and glue
it to the magnetic strip, so that the "chit" becomes a magnet that
attaches to the underside of the leader's base, sticking out a little
so it can be read. I've also used coloured stick-on dots stuck to the
bottom of the leader's base.

> We've experimented with SSD-style record sheets, and "pig-
> pen" sheets (where the chits are placed in numbered boxes
> representing units rather than on the board next to them). Both
> seemed to slow things down, and made it easier for players to
> "forget" (deliberately or otherwise...) the state of their squads.

Confusion is a problem.

> I suspect that special dial-bases as used in the Heroclix system
> would probably be ideal to record the state of individual figures in
> skirmish games, but they would be difficult for amateurs to make, and
> tie the figures in to a particular set of rules.

It also requires the figure to be picked up in order to for the
setting to change. You'd be surprised how many people would
opportunistically replace the figure in a different spot...
deliberately or otherwise.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com