Prev: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc Next: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:45:15 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

>I know which I like better.  In theory (I'm not on the playtest list)
DS is going to a more SG-II feel.

That's correct.
I've never had a problem with opposed die rolls, except for
impact-vs-armor rolls which I agree take longer than necessary. I'd fix
that by making armor a fixed number (so a 3 or 4 instead of d6); then
you could roll all your IMP dice against armor at the same time.
Obviously that's going to change things somewhat--heavy powered armor
(armor 6) no longer has to worry about IMPd4 or d6 weapons, for
instance--but I could liv with that. YMMV. I think originally this idea
came from Allan Goodall.

>I really do not understand the secrecy of the playtest list.	My
understanding is GZG makes little off  the rules anyway.

The secrecy of the playtest list is largely because it's very easy to
propose something which looks like it'll work. Everyone looks at it and
says "yeah, sounds good". Maybe a couple of people playtest it and it
still looks good and people start assuming that this will go into FT3.
And then a couple months later someone says "I tried that weapon mounted
on Mass 10 scoutships and it was hideous. My opponent never had a
chance" and we all realize, yeah, that's an unfixable loophole, we'll
have to throw out that idea.
If we kept it on the test list, everyone knows that's life and we try
again. If we had it out on the main list, then in the month (or two or
five) between the initial idea and the "oops!", it's gotten disseminated
and taken as Official(tm) and someone's found the loophole and said to
themselves "This game is an unbalanced dog!" and we never hear from them
again.

All this being said....
YES, I agree that FT3 needs to compile all the juicy bits from FT and MT
and so forth and fix some stuff and get published not later than
yesterday. We're working on that. We're also working on DS3 and FMAS,
and my ****UNofficial**** guess is that at least one of those will make
it to public beta this year. I did say ***UN***, I'm not the project
manager for any of those projects, that's just my own personal
***UNofficial*** guess.

As for the campaign system someone mentioned...
a) a campaign game is very idiosyncratic, what works for you may be too
detailed for me and not nearly detailed enough for my neighbor. Everyone
says they want a campaign system but I've rarely seen anyone adopt
someone else's system;
b) it takes a long, long time to playtest a campaign game
c) just imagine the reaction if Jon Tuffley had said "Hark, a brilliant
idea for a campaign game! Let's put FT3 on hold whilst we have the FT3
working group tinker with this campaign!"

Prev: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc Next: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc