Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] fleet size? Next: [GZG] [OT] Show announcement: Murphy Mania 2007, 12 may

Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:16:22 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

On Sunday 21 January 2007 02:56, Laserlight wrote:

> >People ask how far a MU is because they have plans for a scenario
> > involving a battle near a planet, and they want to know how big to
make
> > the planet. A consensus here on the List is that a MU is about
1000km.

> Or 100km, depending on what time scale you think is reasonable. In
that
> case, you could use one edge of the table as the planet's surface.

I like 1000km since it allows you to use planets on the table
as reasonable obstacles. The planet is big enough to use as
cover, and the gravity well goes out far enough to affect
movement. You do need a reasonable sized table however if you
want some action outside the gravity well.

If the planet is one edge of the table, it might as well not be
there at all (though you could have a gravity effect).

If it's much more than 1000km, then even Earth sized worlds start
to become merely a point of interest rather than a major focus of
the 'terrain'. At 3000km, a 4" world doesn't give much cover.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] fleet size? Next: [GZG] [OT] Show announcement: Murphy Mania 2007, 12 may