Prev: Re: [GZG] List question Next: Re: [GZG] List question

Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:24:33 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Scale in the Tuffleyverse

 > How far is a MU?

There's an interesting discussion on the Exodus Project web-site
about using realistic engines in tactical space combat games. It's
not for the math-phobic, but there's lots of stuff on how thrust,
time and distance fit together. The author decided on a 15-minute
turn-length (so that his FT and Dirtside timescales would match),
resulting in an MU of about 81 kilometres.

For our Beltwar games, I adopted an MU about 83km so that 12mu =
1000km. This distance scale means there's no need to put out model
planets; just treat one edge of the table as the planetary atmosphere
and rule that anyone who goes off in anything other than a re-entry
vehicle burns up... You could mark a curved edge if you want to be
picky, especially for a smaller body like a moon. Dwarf planets like
Ceres, or large asteroids (Pallas, Vesta etc.) can be represented by
papier-mâché "scale" models.

Best regards, Robert Bryett
rbryett@gmail.com