Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: [GZG] Dec 25, 2006

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: "Zoe Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:21:02 +0900
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

>The problem with my vision of Fisher-style BC's in FT is that there are
no
>battleships, let alone dreadnoughts in FT.  There are CA's, large
cruisers
>labelled BC's, larger cruisers labelled BB's, even larger cruisers
labelled
>BDN's, and the largest cruisers are labelled SDN's.  The mass penalty
for
>the larger beam classes pretty much prevent the existence of fisher
style
>DN's; although Phalon-style multi layered hulls, thrust 6 and a bunch
of
>class-4's might cut it.   The resulting ship would be very large, and
very
>expensive.

FT feels more like 1900 than 1914. And I'd like to see Fighters given
the
same emphasis that torpedo-boats were back then.

See for example the Foudre (French Navy TB carrier).

As usual OA is right on the money - but instead of Beam-4's. I'd give
them
a special FC that would double effective range, so their range bands
would
be 1-24, 25-48, and 49-72 for their Beam-3's. And nothing but beam-3s
and a
few B-1s and PDS.

A Pre-Dreadnaught with 3 different main calibres, 4x12", plus many
smaller
guns would be lucky to hit at 10,000 yds, Dreadnaughts got equally lucky
hits at 20,000, with 10 x 12".

Zoe

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: [GZG] Dec 25, 2006