Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:08:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

At 12:50 PM +0300 12/24/06, John Atkinson wrote:

>I put together a design which I designated a Battlecruiser.  Took a
>standard BB design, remove the armor and shields, and replace with
engine mass.  Took it up to a thrust 6 or so.

I enlarged the NAC Vandenberg (I mistakenly
called it a Ticonderoga in a previous e-mail,
It's been a while since I even looked at my FT
figures). Checking the SSD again it's:
108 TMF, 388 NPV, x2 Class 1s, x2 class 3s with
Overlapping front 180 and one arc to either
side's aft beam. Two PDS, 1 Shield, two Fire Cons
(redundancy), 5 armor and 32 hull. Oh thrust 6. I
call it the Black Prince class. So far, as long
as I don't get in the thick of things, it works
well as the leader for a squadron of Vandenbergs
and Heavy Destroyers. I have a few Heavy DD's
which are almost CLs but I don't call them CL's
because they don't have screens (Screens being
the demarcation for me as to DD vs CA status, not
tonnage). Class 3 beams AND Screens being the
demark for Battle-* or larger.

I also made a variant of the old ship list NAC BC
that has more thrust. A BC that moves thrust 4
doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps best to
think of as a 2nd class BB and redesignate as a
BC once you fit new engines? I can't even think
of the ship in question's name because my books
are all packed away.

>In the ideal world, there would be no need for these vessels, as they
>serve no tactical function that cannot be served better by
>dreadnoughts.	But I'm assuming that there is a significant percieved
>benefit from having smaller, cheaper, somewhat more quickly built
>hulls which can be risked more than the dreadnoughts and which can be
>stationed in frontier sectors for extended periods of time while the
>dreadnoughts are kept in a centrally-located hub as a strategic
>reserve.

I suspect with the modular nature of current ship
construction and future space ship construction,
BC's would be more possible because you could
leave off an armor layer or two and other
protection in lieu of more engine mass to get
that speed. Less armor also means more speed for
the same structural hull size. The extra turn of
speed and the need in the FT world for patrolling
systems, quick transits to get out to other
systems and for acting as fire brigades for
problems would give them some advantages over
slower thrust 4 BBs and DNs.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers