Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:58:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

At 9:40 AM -0700 12/23/06, Richard Bell wrote:
>Hello;
>
>I recently read the "Tough Guide to the Universe" and got a small bee
>up my nose about how the author used the term "battlecruiser".
>Although, what he really got right was that any ship labelled
>"battlecruiser" gets its coolness factor upped several notches, so
>long as it is fast and has big guns.

Battlecruisers have Cruiser speed, Battleship
armament of the time and crusiser armor.
Depending on the time period and the sliding
scale of armament, protection and speed this
could be any number of values.

For example, compare the Collossus and
Indefatigable classes. They are contemporaries,
similar in tonnage and armament but the BC's have
significantly less armor and 4 more knots of
speed.

Colossus class battleships

Displ: 20,225 tons normal; 23,050 tons full load
Dim: 546 x 85 x 28.5 feet
Prop: Steam turbines, 18 boilers, 4 shafts, 25,000 hp, 21 knots
Crew: 755
Arm: 5 dual 12/50, 16 single 4/50, 3 21 inch TT (sub)
Armor: 7-11 inch belt, 1.75-4 inch deck, 4-11 inch barbettes,
	11 inch turrets, 11 inch CT
	 Slightly modified Neptune class.

Colossus
	 Built by Scotts.  Laid down 8 July 1909, launched 9 April 1910,
	 complete 7/1911.  Minor damage at Jutland.  Training ship
1919-1920,
	 stricken 1920 under the Washington Treaty, sold for scrapping
7/1928.

Hercules
	 Built by Palmers.  Laid down 30 July 1909, launched 10 May
1910,
	 complete 8/1911.  Sold for scrapping 11/1921 under the
Washington
	 Treaty.

Indefatigable class battlecruisers

Displ: 18,500 tons normal; 22,080 tons full load
Dim: 590 x 80 x 26.5 feet
Prop: Steam turbines, 32 boilers, 4 shafts, 44,000 hp, 25 knots
	 (Indefatigable: 43,000 hp)
Crew: 800
Arm: 4 dual 12/45, 16 single 4/50, 3 18 inch TT (sub)
Armor: 4-6 inch belt, 1-2.5 inch deck, 3-7 inch barbettes, 7 inch
turrets,
	10 inch CT
	 Lengthened versions of Invincible class.  An additional ship of
	 this class was built for Australia.

Indefatigable
	 Built by Devonport Navy.  Laid down 23 Feb 1909, launched 28
Oct 1909,
	 completed 4/1911.  Sunk at Jutland 31 May 1916 by magazine
explosion.

New Zealand
	 Built by Fairfield.  Laid down 20 June 1910, launched 1 July
1911,
	 completed 11/1912.  Paid for by New Zealand, transferred to
England
	 upon completion.  Collision with Australia 22 April 1916.
	 Sold for scrapping 19 Dec 1922 under the Washington Treaty.

>It got me thinking about how battlecruisers are handled in games.

I have several ships I've kitbashed into BCs for
my NAC forces. Essentually a Ticonderoga aft
hull/pod section and an NCA battleship banjo as a
fore end. Armament iirc has two sets of Class 3s
in the frontal arc, 2 sets of class 2s and class
1s and PDS plus shields on par with the
ticonderagoa. They still have a turn os speed
like the ticonderogas and work well as a fast
heavy for my cruiser squadrons and do well if I
avoid trying to use them as Battlehsips and
instead poke at the  other guy's heels and flanks
while he's dealing with my battle line.

They are more appropriate for games with context
and sliding edges vs slugging matches on a fixed
board size.

>They are usually ships between a heavy cruiser and a battleship.  Only
>one navy (the USN) ever built ships like that, and they were called
>"Large Cruisers" (the Alaska class).

Germany and Britain made lots.

>   All ships that were actually
>called battlecruisers were as large as, if not larger, than
>battleships.  The HMS Hood, a battlecruiser, was the largest warship
>in the world, until the Bismark was completed.

Hood is actually more correctly called a fast
battleship. Her construction was halted for a
time to make changes to the design.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers