Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust scenarios Next: [GZG] [ZeroWear] Update

Re: [GZG] Full Thrust scenarios

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:45:15 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust scenarios

Andy Skinner wrote:

> My friend wants to give Full Thrust a try. He has been skeptical about
spaceship games in the past, but thought the rules (he skimmed online
recently) looked fun this time through.  But I want the game to be
_fun_, and I think a scenario will probably help. When we're teaching
someone with a few ships, we seem to fly at each other and then circle,
and it seems silly after a while. [...] Any suggestions for scenarios? <

Well, a good learning scenario that I used with another spaceship game
(long before I learned of FT) was a treasure hunt. A stasis box has been
detected inside an asteroid cluster/belt, and a ship is sent to check it
out and pick it up; unfortunately, when it gets there, it seems that
it's not the only one interested...

Each player (up to 4) has a single ship (DD/CL size is usually good)
that enters from a corner of the table. The table is full of asteroids
(10-20, made of paper or whatever if you don't have any suitable minis);
one of them has the stasis box attached to its surface, but no-one knows
which. To find out, a ship must close to within a certain radius at a
low speed and scan (which means no shields or active FCS); roll a die
(type depends on number of asteroids) when this happens and on a "1",
the stasis box has been found and can be picked up, but that will take
time (two turns?), during which the ship cannot accelerate except to
come to a dead stop. Once the box has been picked up, the ship must
escape off a table edge to win. Scans and their results are detectable,
so once everyone knows where the box is, expect "visitors"... <eg>

This is deliberately vague in some areas, because it will depend on the
size of ship, number of asteroids, table size (in terms of MU) but it
does make for a good, fun learning experience, and the action really
heats up once the box has been found -- because, you see, the box
survives if a ship is destroyed and can be salvaged from the wreckage
just as if it was being picked up from the asteroid...

Have fun!

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust scenarios Next: [GZG] [ZeroWear] Update