Prev: Re: [GZG] Anime Walkers (Quick survey - 15mm SF preferences?) Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers

Re: [GZG] Anime Walkers (Quick survey - 15mm SF preferences?)

From: "Christopher TenWolde" <christopher@t...>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:59:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Anime Walkers (Quick survey - 15mm SF preferences?)

Hi Robert,

I have the same sense of general unease about the really huge mecha, and
generally hand-wave the problem by simply stating that if a) huge mecha
are
really that effective for some reason, then b) there wouldn't be any
other
types of units that should be able to challenge them, so c) if you play
with
huge mecha, play *only* with huge mecha.  This is known as "Battletech
Logic" and can be fun.	;)

On the other hand, 15mm tall mecha really interest me because at that
scale
they are only about 150% of a 6mm scale tank.  If you assume a classic
anthropomorphic form, then you can also assume that they aren't just
"walking tall" throughout the battlefield, but are in fact crouching,
kneeling, lying down, just as a normal soldier in power armor might do.

The examples you give below are *perfect* for what I would envision in
these
smaller-scale mecha, and would also fit with the general style of the
current GZG 6mm scale infantry walkers (one of which, the Hound Dog,
appears
to be a *cough*Not*Votom*cough*).

Cheers,

Christopher

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:14:40 +1100
From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@mail.com>
To: gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu

I have problems with the whole idea of walkers that are taller than a
tank (and the ones that have legs when they spend most of their time
flying or in space seem particularly barmy), but I've always had a
soft spot for the Armoured Troopers in Votoms:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fe/Votoms04.jpg/
466px-Votoms04.jpg
Drawing of the cockpit etc.:
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/atvotoms/atm-09-st.htm
They have that "Churned out by the thousand in a factory east of the
Urals" look.

The mechs in Gazaraki are pretty real-looking too, even if the plot
of the TV serial was pretty daft, even by anime standards:
http://www.evilnet.net/~jhfong/probe/Models/ishtar-kit.gif
http://www.evilnet.net/~jhfong/probe/Models/raiden-kit.gif

The armed suits in Ghost In The Shell (my personal anime favourite)
are interesting too. They are more "worn" than "driven" in that the
wearer's arms and legs extend at least part-way into those of the
suit, rather than operating joysticks and pedals in a cockpit in the
torso:
http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews/4773/4773_2.jpg

Best regards, Robert Bryett
rbryett@mail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Anime Walkers (Quick survey - 15mm SF preferences?) Next: Re: [GZG] Walkers