Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: [GZG] Player Locator

Re: [GZG] OODA

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:00:14 +0300
Subject: Re: [GZG] OODA

On 11/9/06, Laserlight <laserlight@verizon.net> wrote:
> John A said:
> > Difficult to implement, impossible to balance,
> > unsure that added paperwork load would add to enjoyment of the game.
>
> You're jumping the gun. We haven't got the concept yet, other than a
> suggestion that Piquet *might* be of interest. Wait until we have an
idea
> nailed down before telling us that it won't work. :-)

If you're going to simulate inflexibility of a command system, you
have to permit folks with inflexible command systems to do well what
inflexible command systems do well, namely set piece battles.

In other words, they get to write a plan and stick to it.  And when
the intelligence is more or less correct (and it will often be, in
general terms) and the enemy with their vaunted high-speed OODA cycle
reacts in a way which can be predicted by the plan (this is another
difference between Real World and Wargaming--I can study Russian or
German doctrine and predict more or less what a Russian or German
officer will do.  Every wargamer is more or less unique--and few of
them publish professional journals or doctrinal manuals) then they get
mousetrapped and hammered flat.

Remember that the whole "OODA cycle" was initially invented to
understand dogfights between individual aircraft or pairs of aircraft.
 It is somewhat less relevant to larger scale fights because things
happen on a totally different timescale and split-second hesitation is
much less fatal for an admiral of a fleet than a pilot of a jet
aircraft.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] OODA Next: [GZG] Player Locator