Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss Next: Re: [GZG] [Brushwars] First Contact pt.2 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 22:13:23 +1300
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frits Kuijlman" <frits@kuijlman.net>

> laserlight@verizon.net wrote:
>> Yes, but generally the launching ship doesn't drop enough mass to
matter.

> The only way to drop enough mass to change thrust rating if you have
> things like an ftl carrier delivering non-ftl cruisers and such.
>
> However, a tin can filled with 'more thrust' missiles might do the
> trick as well.

laserlight did the maths a little while ago. A 100 mass thrust 3 ship
fitted
with 60 MT missiles drops 30 mass so drive thrust goes from 3 to 4.

This thing starts at 144 mass. But in launching its drones drops 60 of
that mass. Now you have what is an 84 mass ship which is 1/3 more
efficient in thrust ratings.

This I am interested in I'm currently using a ship this size in our
campaign
and it has nothing like 60 hull to convert into drones.

You could make a brood sow of a ship with no defences, lots of hull and
drone wombs and not many generators. Assuming you go to 72 hull so you
can
have some hull left after building the drone wombs (and because the
maths is
easier). That is 50% hull, you need 20% for the drives and FTL that
leaves
30% for everything else. 4 drone wombs would be 12 mass and that leaves
about 32 for generators so enough to power the drone wombs and power the

ship a bit. Something like this would need to be escorted and you have
wonder whether you would be better off to have several heavy cruisers
with a
drone womb that each launch one fighter squadron and can still fight.

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss Next: Re: [GZG] [Brushwars] First Contact pt.2 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]