Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss Next: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

[GZG] [Brushwars] First Contact pt.2 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:57:17 +1100
Subject: [GZG] [Brushwars] First Contact pt.2 [sec=UNCLASSIFIED]

	Squadron Leader Yaro 'Superman' Sukh looked out of the cockpit
at
his green pilots and shook his head.  There would be empty bunks tonight
if
they got jumped.  "Three flight, top cover.  One flight, follow me in
with
bombs.	Two flight, anti-radar missiles and pop any air defences we
spook,
then follow us in."
	Caught in the open, the Phalon vehicles began evasive manoeuvres
and
smoke while Local Air Defence systems spat a stream of plasma skyward.
As
the first aircraft in, Yaro jinked and locked onto the lead vehicle.
Releasing his guided bombs as a salvo, he walked it down the line of
vehicles before they could scatter.  His wingman, 'Bird Dog' followed
the
same flight path, unfortunately without evading and flew directly into a
full burst of plasma.  "I'm hit, I'm hit!  Secondary system damage and
thrust loss.  Bombs jammed on the racks.  Aborting run."
	"Bird Dog, head to holding pattern and check for further damage.
Two flight, report."
	"Two to Leader, no air defences sighted, making our run."
Having
seen how their leader performed, Two Flight immediately began evasive
actions and co-ordinated their time on target to split the incoming
fire.
Four sticks of guided bombs fell, striking several targets with their
MAK
warheads.  Visual indications were 9 vehicles disabled and another two
moving poorly.
	"Leader to Three flight.  We'll take top cover, you come down
and
target the damaged vehicles, then we'll head back to the barn for the
next
strike."  "Affirmative leader.	Scope is clear of threats."

	Back at Henderson Field, Sqn Ld Yaro looked over the scorched
surface of his aircraft.  Nothing a coat of paint wouldn't fix.  Another
30
minutes and they would be back out again against a much tougher
opponent.
	Final tally from post-op recon was 13 vehicles destroyed and
unknown
infantry casualties.  One aircraft down for repairs, and two more
frazzled
enough that they couldn't be sent back out immediately.  Pending the
results
of a ground ambush by the local missile teams, it may be enough for
Atkinson's Arrows to clear the remainder, but that was several hours
away
for now.

****

In part 3, the airstrike on the main Phalon battalion goes horribly
wrong.
Tbc...

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Thrust and Mass Loss Next: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)