Prev: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] SSD bits (Simon White)

Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 20:21:08 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn M. Goffin" <gmgoffin@yahoo.com>

> Regarding lining units up on each side of the table and charging to
> fight in the middle -- well, that happened a lot in ancient times,
> and even into the 18th Century.  Modern warfare is characterized by
> great fluidity, and we should expect the near future (where GZG games
> are set) to show more, not less, of the same.
>
> SG II, e.g., allows grav vehicles in high mode to go to any location
> on the table.  That creates a kind of unpredictability and surprise
> that is both authentic and fun to play.
>
> (OK, they take the risk of getting shot down, but, you know, war is
> dangerous and stuff (to paraphrase an old friend who's a career
> officer in the US Army).  Maybe you have to send two or three grav
> vehicles and expect to lose one.  Maybe you can jam the other side's
> missiles.)
Modern warfare is not always fluid. Important locations still need to be

defended. If Grav effect vehicles can act like helicopters then they do
give
you some strategic manoeuvrability but you still need to put down some
ground pounders to hold the objective or assault it or whatever, at that

point you lose the mobility and have to stay fixed to support the
infantry
or you abandon them to their fate and withdraw their support.

Prev: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] SSD bits (Simon White)