Prev: RE: [GZG] re: Point Systems Next: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:22:31 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu>

 We lined up from table edge to table edge, and the only "tactics" were
how
to exploit weakpoints created through firepower or poor deployment.  We
got
bored of this is switched to 6mm.  On the same table we could play with
corp
s where we used to use less than a division, and were able to use actual

tactics like flanking manuevers. :)  Go us!

> Whether the game allows for broader tactics depends on the rules, the
> scale fo the figures, the size of the bases, the number of figures,
the
> size of the table and the scope of the game.
>
> In DSII we rarely got to pull of flanking manuevers because of the low

> movement speeds of the units. In DS3 (playtest) we frequently pull off

> flanking and breakthrough moves because the scope of the game allows
for
> it to happen.
>
> I think that your statement below is far too limited to capture what
is
> possible, or in some cases what regularly occurs in wargames.
>
> John
I'd agree with your comment that the scale of the figures in relation to
the
size of the table and the weapon ranges has a huge impact on the amount
of
manoeuvre you can do. DBM games in 15 mm where elements move 2-6 inches
and
those that can shoot have a 4" range can have quite a lot of positioning

manoeuvre before the clash. Larger points values and higher speeds and
longer weapon ranges don't allow for such manoeuvring.

Manoeuvre while within enemy weapon range is much more difficult and can

easily result in you being shot to pieces.

Most wargames go for a high troop density on the table and several game
systems, allow the selection of cheap horde armies that can cover the
table
from side to side and fill up their deployment zone. At that point there
are
no on table flanks to turn and it's all down to blasting a hole.

I have seen this happen with DBM, FOW as well as 40k so it's not a one
game
issue. DBM provide the option for a player to flank march a command
(platoon
or company) so they can enter from the table side. This at least
provides
some element of a flanking manoeuvre that is under the players control.

Some players deliberately chose horde armies on the basis that most
enemy
armies can't kill enough of them in a game, especially if they have gone
for
expensive high tech equipment designed to kill other expensive high tech

equipment.

Prev: RE: [GZG] re: Point Systems Next: Re: [GZG] re: Point Systems