Prev: Re: [GZG] Point Systems Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems

Re: [GZG] Point Systems

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:26:05 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Point Systems

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@xtra.co.nz>
> In just about all the later ww2 campaigns the allies had overwhelming
> numerical superiority. Normandy and Bagration for examples. All the
> planned battles were about building up overwhelming force so you could

> defeat the enemy without taking massive losses

Well, yes... but this is all stuff that happened in the later stages of
the
war after earlier battles like the Battle of Britain crippling the
Luftwaffe, Stalingrad squandering away Germany's best window of
opportunity
to bring about the Soviet Union's collapse, and Kursk's hamstringing of
the
bulk of Germany's remaining ability to launch any further effective
offensives in the east.  By the time Bagration and particularly Normandy

happened, Germany was already pretty much a broken nation fighting to
the
bitter end in a war that had already been decided by previous battles
where
most of their best fighting forces were destroyed.

> Actually wargames strive for fairness to try and make it enjoyable for

> both sides. Some people get enjoyment out of wargaming hopeless
situations
> and these can be fun for scenarios when you have removed all elements
of
> competition from the scenario.

> If you give both player similar objectives, typically kill the enemy,
then
> both players need to have a chance to achieve this so points systems
come
> into effect.

Well, that's basically it.  If you're going to fight a one-off battle,
then
sure, you need to have relatively similar point totals, in order to
simulate
the kinds of battles that happen in wars that are truly in contest.
However, there are examples like Dunkirk, the Bismarck sinking, and the
like
where one side does indeed have a relatively limited chance to win and
the
real objectives had little to do with "kill the enemy" on the part of
the
losing side.  If you're going to make the players play with uneven
sides,
whoever's got the inferior side needs to have orders that involve
something
other than "kill the enemy" that are achievable with the inferior
materiel.

> Wargames also tend to remove any strategic element from the games both

> sides line up in a roughly linear formation within heavy weapons range

> with enough models to cover the table from side to side. The choice
came
> down to which unit fired at which, scouting, finding weaknesses in
> defences, having enough depth to form multiple lines of defence are
not
> things easily replicated on a typical wargames table.

I don't know.  One of the more memorable FT games I've ever played was
at a
con where I directed two other players against another team of opposing
players, where we were playing a scenario where our opponents had to
evacuate a secret research team that my side had discovered holed up on
strategically vulnerable frontier planet.  I had somewhat superior
mobile
forces, while the opponent had a fairly powerful (but limited aim)
"reflex
gun" that was on one particular point on the planet.  They had to
evacuate
something like three shuttles full of research scientists (which were
allowed to dock on ships that didn't have fighter bays) and get them off
the
board.	They took a strategy of having their heavy elements try to
charge us
while the lighter ships evacuated the scientists; I took a strategy of
having a pair of cruiser squadrons (directed by each of my co-players)
fly
pincer movements around the far side of the planet from our arrival
point
while I took the capital ships straight up the middle.	Their heavy
elements, which were a little weaker than mine in the first place, came
at
us way, way too fast and wound up flying clean off the table after their

first pass and were unable to return, which left mine completely free to

neutralize the "reflex gun" and assist the cruiser pincers in
annihilating
the units evacuating the scientists.  Not much linear going, and all
because
we had a real objective we were fighting over.

Also would've made a fairly good anime or science fiction show if
somebody
had been so inclined. :P

Prev: Re: [GZG] Point Systems Next: Re: [GZG] Point Systems