Prev: Re: Re: Re: Name for rules (was: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted) Next: Re: Re: Re: Blue Sky Thinking (was: Re: [GZG] re: Wanted)

[GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:18:37 -0500
Subject: [GZG] New game mechanics (was: Re: Name for Rules)

Totally agree. Now let's talk about basing and game mechanics.

First basing. I'm cool with any base size between 1" by 1" and the FOW
base sizes. Some people like Stuart Murray use old GZG figs and Peter
Pig which are "true 15's and they fit just fine on a 25mm x 25mm base,
IMHO the current GZG minis fit better on a 30 x 30mm base (for a 3 to 4
man team) By way of information, the
FOW small bases are 32mm x 25mm and their medium bases are 50mm x 32mm.
I think it's a matter of personal taste and the rules should be flexible

on this point.

The way I see it, the 15mm GZG minis are 8 man squads so a typical squad

could be two 4 man fireteams or two three's and a two. Usually (always?)

there's two support weapons in an 8 man 15mm squad so I'm not sure if
you'd place a support weapon in each 4 man fireteam, or two in one. I
might be inclined if one of the support weapons was AT to do the two
three's and a two arrangement. Obviously this would be totally optional,

as some like to mix and match between 8 man packs and even between
manufacturers. But it would be nice to provide some TO&E and basing
guidance based on what's available from GZG. I think it would decrease
the frustration level when basing (*nobody* likes to mess basing up and
have to redo it, yuck!).

Now when the platoon fires, I'm assuming that we'd total dice per
fireteam. e.g. if I had 4 figs on base and they each had a FP of 3 I'd
throw my D12. Support weapon stands would throw their die for the
support weapon on the stand. A player could choose which stands are
firing and which are moving/close assaulting. That way you could have
2/3's of your stands lay down suppressing fire (hopefully) and the other

1/3 do the close assault. If you don't get the suppression, bad things
happen to the close assault stands (return fire). So even if I had 9
fireteams in my platoon and they were all firing, I'd be throwing 9 dice

(plus the quality die). That doesn't sound too cumbersome.

Any additional ideas on this?

Most of this is borrowed from Stuart Murray's company rules (as I
understand them). Stuart's been running a system like this for some time

now. I posted Stuarts rules to the list back in the early Spring. Jon,
if you want Stuart's email, I could send it off list.

Oh, is this where I beg and plead to be in the playtest group?

-Mark Kinsey