Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? organic tech Next: Re: [GZG] Re: [FT] Google Full Thrust Search Engine (BETA)

Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Plama bolts

From: <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:58:26 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? Plama bolts

---- Eric Foley <stiltman@teleport.com> wrote:
> I've played with lots of custom designs with plasma bolts, and I only
really
> ever came up with one good use for PBL-1's, which was to use them on
> low-maneuverability superships as area defense against missiles

Done that one it's much better although if the enemy are smart the
counter to that is to use fighters to engage your plasma bolt and if it
dies all the missiles are OK.

PBL 1 make quite a nice defencive weapon. They deny enemy ordinance a
place to go.
The point I was making is that you get a more flexible weapon system by
putting 4 class one plasmabolts on your battleship than one size 4
installation. The size ones can be fired together to create the effect
of the size 4 or they can be spread appart to catch small corvettes or
fired in pairs to maintain a continuous barrage every turn.

All other weapons that come in classes offer a mass  / performance break
to larger weapons over smaller ones, either they shoot further, or do
more damage . Larger classes of plasma bolt do neither.

If Plasma bolt launchers had a range of 12mu +6mu per clas size then
there would be an incentive to use larger class weapons. Or if they were
5 per mass for size 1 9 for size 2 13 for size 3 etc there would be some
discount for buying larger sizes.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? organic tech Next: Re: [GZG] Re: [FT] Google Full Thrust Search Engine (BETA)