Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

From: "James Moore" <jmooreou@g...>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:29:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles

topic, but bases were mentioned in the last reply, and I
was wondering if anyone had seen the magnetic bases from Ninja Magic? I
saw
them at GenCon and have been waiting with baited breath for them to come
out.

On 10/20/06, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> [...]
some.
> ;->=
>
> > As for the Star Wars fighter scale, the X-wing used in the
> > WOTC online
> > rules, looks about 1/4 the size of the Capital ship's.
> > I hope this not so , as was hoping for cool unit's such as
> > Rogue squadron,
> > say 6 fighter's to a base.
>
> Well, the individual characters probably have to shine someway, though
> think 'ace' rule in FT is far more elegant in a fleet game.
>
> Chris' comments aside, I still think a large fighter and a die to
> represent
> the squadron is the way to go. Just don't put it on a flat base; the
die
> needs to be protected from those of us too clumsy to live.
>
> I've recently picked up some of Flagship Games' Starship! pieces. Not
the
> ships themselves, as I find them VERY pricey, but the
> fighters/torps/shuttles/etc. One thought was to use them as a base,
and
> put
> a die on a stand, the other was to take six of the square pieces,
grind
> out
> some ships (have to figure how to add as well; the pieces only show
four
> ships) and glue them together into a squadron die.
>
> Shows how crazed I must be; most folks would just swap out pieces.
>
> Slide to almost the bottom of the page to see what I mean; better men
than
> I would do the pieces themselves:
>
> http://www.flagshipgames.com/catalog-starship.htm
>
> As for scale, there's MM's 'one fit sizes all', and there's
> micrometer-accurate presentation pieces, and a good variation in
between.
> The rules give four classes, and if the previous games are to be
judged,
> the figs will roughly match. There will be some variance in that, but
it's
> not a bad way to go.
>
> Really, for Star Wars, a micro machine Star Destroyer needs pin POINT
> fighters. Compare the fighters to blockade runner a 1X, then the
runner to
> SD at -2x.
>
> http://www.merzo.net/index.html
>
> > Well on the 29th of October we are having a small wargames
> > show hosted by a
> > local club{ oh really} and Eureka miniature's will be
> > there, so look's like
> > I will have to sell a kidney to pay for all the figure's,
> > that so badly need
>
> Wait a minute; can you honestly say you don't have more lead at home
than
> can be painted in a life time?
>
> > to be adopted, if only Madonna would take a leaf out of my
> > book and realise
> > that true adoption is company sized.
>
> A 'company' of children growing under the guidance of Madonna...
*shudder*

> > Yes it's in Australia, and I'm doing a WW2 game in 28mm,
> > yes I would love to
> > do a stargrunt game, but how do you explain fun and tacics
> > and well priced
> > figure's and a great sci fi system to kids that only play
> > 40 K , which is
> > about how much it cost's to collect one of the armies from
> > forge world.LMFAO
>
> A good way to start is to watch for the kids constantly getting their
> a**es
> handed to them, and give them a chance at a game that's more about
> thinking. Let them use the Evil Empire(tm) figs, with disadvantages
for
> being easy-to-spot. ;->=
>
> Another thing to try is watch for uber-sized games, and

" It is best not to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if he
lives near you."
						  - J.R.R. Tolkien

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles Next: Re: [GZG] [OT] Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles