Prev: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E Next: Re: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E

[GZG] Mercenary units

From: "Mark & Staci Drake" <markandstaci@c...>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:22:06 -0500
Subject: [GZG] Mercenary units

> Some recent comments made in a reply to the new 15mm Vehicle
announcement
> have got me to thinking, "What is a -realistic- way to do sci-fi
mercs"
> The
> usual tendency seems to be to try to recreate one of the great merc
units
> from books and other games - Hammer's Slammers, Wolf's Dragoons, etc.
But
> are these units representative of what we think merc units would be?
Is
> there a way to build less amazing, but still effective mercenary
units?
> Is
> so, what are people's thoughts on them?

In the Slammers books there is inference made to TO&E's differing
between
mercenary units,as well as unit quality varying between them.Planets
tended
to hire mercenary units based on what they could afford,and you got what
you
paid for.

I have used differing TO&E's/unit quality in my solo DS2 games as I
think
this would be a function of what that unit/unit's leader could afford to
get
as well.Plus it is interesting to see what certain types of units
will/can
do based on their makeup.I tend to use a good bit of infantry so have
used
low-tech infantry merc units w/good bit of support weapons in various
situations.Can be quite fun as well as challenging.

MD

Prev: RE: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E Next: Re: [GZG] "Realistic" Mercenary TO&E