Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:16:39 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

Um.. religion?
Political agenda?
Racial hatred?

Or have these been eradicated by the time humans colonize? ;)

I agree that it's unlikely that there will be sufficient resources, both
in personnel and industrial capability, but where is the wargaming fun
in that?

John L.
(not to EVER be confused with John A, for John A's protection!)
:)

> On 9/28/06, laserlight@verizon.net <laserlight@verizon.net> wrote:
>> John A said:
>>> You really want a spiel, ask me about the likelyhood of conflict
>>> between two independantly planted colonies on the same planet.
>>
>> Hey John! What do you think the chances are of ground combat on a
>> planet with independently planted colonies? You can use for example
>> Cibola, which has an Islamic Fed colony, a PAU colony, a couple of
>> independent colonies (a Sikh one and a corporate venture) and a UN
>> observer station.
>
> The real question is: Where are these colonies located in relation to
each
> other?
>
> Let's say you are dropping 10 colonies of 25,000 people each on Earth.

> Let's say you have one in New Zealand, another in Italy, a third in
> Argentina, a fourth in Ireland, another in New Jersey, another in
Denmark,
> one in Moscow, one on the Cape of Good Hope, one in Florida, and one
in
> Japan.
>
> How long would it be before the transportation infrastructure between
any
> two given colonies would be sufficient to permit the nations to engage
in
> serious conflict?
>
> What in God's name would they find to fight over?  Resource scarcity
> wouldn't be an issue for decades if not centuries.
>
> And what the hell kind of brand new colony has the spare resources to
> waste on fighting?
>
> John -- "Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain
them
> again and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians." --Vita
mailing
> list Gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University