Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

RE: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

From: "CS Renegade" <njg@c...>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:51:16 +0100
Subject: RE: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?

>> Does a flame thrower cause terror?
>> How about a DFFG fired from a vehicle?

I only have the DS2 description of a DFFG to go by, but if you
ever get one into effective range they certainly are frightening
in game terms. DS2 pg 9 para 4 specifically mentions good anti-
infantry potential due to explosive and fragmentation effects
when the bolt strikes any solid object, including the ground.

Envisioning any plasma weapon is difficult as they are the
furthest away from contemporary weapons both in terms of
technology and effect. We know that MDCs and HELs are possible,
albeit less efficient than current weaponry, but the DFFG cannot
even fire without inordinate quantities of PSB. The most
practical (and rewarding) course of action for any wargamer
wishing to include plasma weapons is to fall back on the
fictional material depicting these systems. By that yardstick,
works such as David Drake's Slammers series leave absolutely
no doubt that these weapons have an extremely powerful effect,
psychologically as well as physically. However, one could
argue that HE does much the same minus the illumination.

I know we've previously agreed that DFFGs are not Powerguns,
but I can't seem to find the right words to pull the articles
from the Firedrake archives.

Nathan

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG] Rapid Fire antipersonnel plasma gun?