Prev: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Shifting planets

Re: Re: [GZG] Shifting planets

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:03:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Shifting planets

Well, the teeny, tiny approache infinite mass as they approach C, while
requiring approaching-infinite energy to accellerate. Moving planets is
finite, though HUUUUUUUGE amount of energy. Greater-than-C seems to
indicate greater-than-infinite energy, and that always trumps finite.

We grasp each new physics possibility, naked black hole, wormhole,
string
theory collapsed dimensions, stepped space warpage, and we still find
the
slightly discredited Einstein blocking our way. Won't stop us dreaming,
of
course.

As for moving planets, Dyson spheres and ringworlds, even built on
smaller
scales, have one huge advantage: you can do them in far smaller steps.

There are always SO much better ways of terraforming than orbit
movement.
Also, inspite of all the talk about doppleganger worlds, isn't there
real
problems with two occupying the same orbit?

Whoops, showing my problems with orbital mechanics again. Keep trying,
but
can't get my head around working out the problem I brought up earlier in
my
campaign system.

The_Beast