Prev: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Midsummer Deals and Painting Contest! Next: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?

All,

Thank you for the various painting ideas.  Just to clarify (but not to
offend!) I'm rejecting a few out of hand. :)

Paining on liquid mask - If I wanted to paint on liquid mask, I'd just
paint on the paint. :)

Airbrushing the edges to sharpen them.	Um... I don't what kind of
airbrush you use, but my Badger with it's finest tip is NOT going to
make
a clean edge on a ship that's 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide.

Pices of tissue.  Neat idea, but I'm worried about getting them back off

once I've airbrushed over them.

Pieces of tape.  That's essentially what I was using.  I was actually
using a thin masking tape made for doing this kind of work on models.
It
didn't work because the ships are ALL covered in small panels and such
(makes for nice models, but makes for difficult painting of clean
lines).

Silly Putty.  Now there's an idea!  Happily, I'm using Testors Model
Masters acrylics through my airbrush, so I don't think I need to worry
about solvent.	And there is a store nearby that has silly putty.  I
think
that the hardest part will, again, be making straight enough edges (eg,
don't want rounded blobs - I want irregular polygons), but it's worth a
shot, and if it doesn't work, I can let my kids have it (yes, I'll know
if
it's going to work BEFORE I paint the stuff!).

Templates.  Yeah, this could easily work, but I am concerned about fuzzy

edges.	I've used micro pens on some of my tanks to do edging, and found

that I'm actually better at it with a brush.

In the end, I *may* end up doing the camo with a brush.  I just don't
relish doing this over and over again on an entire fleet.  For reasons
that I'll never figure out, I almost never come up with ideas that I
like
for painting my minis that are *easy*. :)

Thanks again!  There are some good ideas in there - if not for this
project, certainly for others down the road!

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Midsummer Deals and Painting Contest! Next: Re: [GZG] Painting tips?