Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions Next: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] GZG New releases: DF 6mm and Germy's 2mm!

Re: [GZG] Full Thrust 2 questions

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:05:53 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust 2 questions

> 1) Missles, as described in More Thurst, don't appear in the list
> ofship component icons in Fleet Book 1.  Are these missles still
> valid for competition play?

Yes, they're listed in the FB1 *design system*, and perfectly valid.
The More Thrust rules for using missiles have never been superseded,
so they are still "official" but they're not very well integrated
with FB1 and FB2. The FT2.5 convention for these weapons is to call
them Heavy Missiles (HM) to distinguish them from the additional
Salvo Missile systems introduced in FB1. Laserlight has some
unofficial revised HM rules at his web site: http://
mysite.verizon.net/laserlight/ft/if.htm which play pretty well.

> Are they replaced by Salvo Missiles?

No.

> Are they unbalanced?	Are they just not worth putting on a ship?

Balance is very subjective, so I can't really answer that. Many
gamers appear to believe that if they lose, the other guy's weapons
*must* be unbalanced! :) In my opinion thinking about whether a
weapon system is "worth putting on a ship" in isolation is a Bad
Thing. All weapons and defences have strengths and weaknesses, and so
much depends on how you use them and your enemy. In general:

1) Heavy Missiles are a placed marker system, so it is easier to hit
low-thrust targets than high-thrust ones. HMs are one-shot weapons,
so if you miss, you've done your dough.

2) HMs are *relatively* easy for PDS to shoot down under the revised
HM rules mentioned above (I think they're too *hard* to shoot down
under the original MT rules). As always it pays to concentrate your
fire, and use multiple attacks on the target to overwhelm its point
defence.

3) HMs that *do* get though can do a lot of damage.

> If a ship with an velocity of 7 is making a 1 point turn to
> starboard, do you round up or down when determining the half-way
> point of their movement to make the turn?

The Book doesn't say, so you'll have to house-rule it. Just make sure
everyone is on the same page before the game begins. We round up, so
in your case we'd put the turn at 4mu.

Best regards, Robert Bryett
rbryett@mail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions Next: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] GZG New releases: DF 6mm and Germy's 2mm!