Prev: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:09:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

On Jul 7, 2006, at 11:50 AM, Allan Goodall wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Well, Commander, the if ship I'm targeting at 12 mu (roughly 12,000
>> km if we go with the common 1mu = 1000 km unit) were a 200 meter
>> diameter sphere, it takes up 3.44 arcseconds of my sky. Considering
>> it's usually more like an edge-on blade shape maneuvering at several
>> G with a distorting grav gradient behind it, be glad we can hit the
>> thing at all.
>
> And now we're suggesting that those same beams can hit individual
> robotic fighters pulling 25 g at the same range?

I have no problem with that. I think of beams in this context as
flyswatters of coherent light.
P-torps as buckshot vs. dragonflies.

I understand and accept your dislike of it, though.

---

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously
considered as a means of communication.  The device is inherently of
no value to us."
	  -- Western Union internal memo, 1876

Prev: Re: Limits on armour? and Full Steam Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)