Prev: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?) Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:09:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Feels a bit like a contradiction, hate the breakpoint, but the Silent
Death
damage losses are absolute breakpoints as opposed to random generations,
but I think I get your feeling.

Core systems rules do break it up a bit, as catastrophic damage can
occur
only after other systems have had to check.

Would breaking it down even further into external systems, protected
systems, and core systems, give you enough possible finer granularity?
Strictly as a house rule, of course.

Say, at the first threshold, you can blow off SM racks and PDF's, but
only
next threshold for FC's and shields, and maybe pushing core to third;
I'm
sure the order of systems in this structure would be the source of
vigorous
discussions, but you get my drift. And, in those cases where massive
damage
crosses multiple thresholds, you can still roll for most everything.

Otherwise, you could take a page from SD, and put limited threshold
checks
as icons in the hull boxes, which would negate some of the variable hull
row build differences.

I won't go into the 'other side of the ship' topic, as the whole 'roll
the
ship' discussion still rankles me.

The_Beast