Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:27:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

On 6/23/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:55:43 -0500 (CDT)
> From: <laserlight@verizon.net>

> Will that necessarily be the case when there are no horizons?
> Even if a launching ship can't keep a laser focused tightly enough
> to burn its target, isn't there a pretty good chance it could
designate
> the target for a missile?

For every PSB there is a counter-PSB: Couldn't you say ships have a
laser-absorbing coating that absorbs the energy from a targeting laser
and stores the energy in batteries? Beams, etc. might cook away this
coating, but the coating is good enough to make targeting lasers a
thing of the past.

Or, if that PSB isn't to your liking: if screens can make it harder to
hit with beams, presumably screens also make targeting lasers less
useful.

This is one reason game rules tend to stick with a single universe
instead of being generic. You can simply handwave weapon system
irregularities as "this is how they work in the myverse universe".
It's when you go generic that you have to deal with all these,
"such-and-such a system doesn't work the way I want it to for universe
Y" complaints.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update Next: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update