Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Vehicle desgn question Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:57:45 +1200
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update

----- Original Message -----
From: <laserlight@verizon.net>
To: <gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:55 AM

> >From: john tailby
>>These rules just seem to make missiles a no brainer.
> <snip>
>>These weapons look very complicated.
>
> Is it just me, or do these two sentences really not got together?

The rules for the weapon system is very complicated compared to other FT

weapons.

However the effect of this weapon system is so powerful as to make it an

easy decision for fleet designers. Any weapon system that is a must have
is
too good to include.

If you want to make the missiles more seeking then why not let them burn

some endurance after the ships move. Gives them a bigger engagement
envelope
for people that can't guess.

If you play with ships moving slowly say 6mu / turn in cinematic then
missiles do a pretty good job of seeking.

If you play with ships operating a bit more like fighter planes
operating
about the same speed as the missiles then you have to guess the course
of
the enemy ship. This is pretty much the same way as most missile systems

work today. You predict where your target will be, aim the missile into
the
basket and then have the target run into the terminal guidance range of
the
missile. Its also how homing torpedos work.  You have to get your
torpedo
into an engagement range before the enemy realises it otherwise they can

react and evade.

If your PSB has missiles achieving relativistic speeds or their own
hyper
drives then they might act like the rules proposed. In which case the
defence would by FTL inhibitor fields. But neither of those technologies
are
consistent with the published background.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [DSII] Vehicle desgn question Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Revised Salvo Missiles Update