Prev: Re: [GZG] Menacing "Baa" Next: Re: [GZG] Heavy missile questions.

[GZG] Heavy missile questions.

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@m...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:56:28 +1000
Subject: [GZG] Heavy missile questions.

One of my nephews/admirals has started reading the Honor Harrington
novels, and developed a commendable ambition to launch salvos of
heavy missiles at the OPFOR. Since I'll have to umpire, I've been
browsing MT and trying to integrate the missile rules with FB2. Heavy
missiles seem a bit of an orphan system (no FB design seems to use
them for example), and I have a few questions:

1. Interaction with FB2 armour. Should the effect of armour on heavy
missiles be the same as that for salvo missiles? My feeling is that
it should, if only to keep things simple.

2. Firing/moving heavy missiles. In the fighter movement phase? The
way MT missiles move seems more like fighter movement than the way
salvo missiles shoot. If the missiles move in the fighter phase,
should they alternate with the fighter groups to give the fighters a
chance to intercept? In vector, I think the acquisition range should
be cut to 3mu as for salvo missiles.

3. Fire control. MT is pretty explicit about this:

"One ship may launch any number of missiles in one turn, subject only
to the number it is carrying; each missile may have a different
target, as they are guided by their onboard AIs and their own fire
controls."

That seems reasonable enough. I can't imagine missiles engaging over
ranges up to 60mu (60,000km?) using command guidance, beam-riding,
semi-active homing or any other form of launch-platform-dependent
guidance. If each missile has an on-board AI, sensors, IFF etc., they
should be pretty autonomous. On the other hand, I can't really accept
that the launch vessel would require *no* fire control at all. So...
Maybe one FCS per launch?

4. Point Defence. Hmmm. This is a thorny one, since PDS vs. fighters
or salvo missiles involves engaging a group of targets, whereas MT
has one PDS engaging each heavy missile and only knocking it out on a
roll of 6. Now each heavy missile *is* more costly in mass and points
than a standard fighter despite it's shorter endurance, so I imagine
it as being pretty smart, tough and equipped with its own ECM etc.
but... I don't know. I guess we'll go with the MT rule and see how it
turns out.

Any thoughts, or URLs where someone's already done this? I'm not
looking for a full-on Honorverse adaptation BTW, just ways of
bringing heavy missiles into our FT 2.5 games.

Best regards, Robert Bryett
rbryett@mail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Menacing "Baa" Next: Re: [GZG] Heavy missile questions.