Prev: [GZG] RE: Colonial tech level [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

From: <laserlight@v...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 07:57:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

>From: Adrian Johnson
>Now, supporting a modern military force with the *much* higher
>cost-per-trooper than back in the WWI era

"Now" as opposed to "back then" is a higher cost in dollars, of
course--everything is--but is it a higher cost as a percentage of per
capita GDP?  And it depends on what type of troopers you're
fielding--light infantry, or heavy armor, or orbital assault, or elite
commandos?

>But if you had a few hundred thousand in uniform, the NAC would
>probably be hard pressed to land a force big enough

That assumes the chokepoint is the transport--which I agree seems
reasonable, since the canon invasions have regiments and brigades, not
corps and armies. Of course, that being the case, you may feel than you
only need a few brigades yourself, rather than a 600,000-strong force.

>OTOH, who knows what a starship costs relative to the GNP of that 16
mil population.

Traditionally a capital ship is the equivalent of a division.  If it's a
lot cheaper than that, people will make it bigger and add shiny kit. If
it's a lot more expensive than that, it'll be too expensive to risk in
combat.

Prev: [GZG] RE: Colonial tech level [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9