Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 02:14:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

>Yeah, I'm assuming these are fresh planets where you just throw wheat
seed
>on the ground and jump back. :-) The point was that even with
optimistic
>assumptions, your population is just not going to very big--sixteen
>millioin is enough to field an army but it's not going to compete with
the
>NAC, NSL, etc.

Sixteen million is enough to field a pretty fair sized army, if you're
willing to take the hits to the productive part of your economy with a
large number of people off fighting.

Canada put 600,000+ people into uniform during WWI, with a national
population around 7 million.  We had over 1.5 million people in uniform
during WWII, with a population of 11 million.

Now, supporting a modern military force with the *much* higher
cost-per-trooper than back in the WWI era would make it much harder for
16-million population colony to support a 600,000 person military force
-
but it could support brigade and perhaps divisional-level forces.

Certainly enough to make things interesting in a DS or SG game!

And as for competing with the NAC - not very likely in a grand,
strategic
sense.	But if you had a few hundred thousand in uniform, the NAC would
probably be hard pressed to land a force big enough to make a dent.
Now,
sitting in orbit and bombarding away is a different story

In the end, a colony with 16 million people could do a credible job of
ensuring local defense...

OTOH, who knows what a starship costs relative to the GNP of that 16 mil

population.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9 Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Gzg-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9