Prev: Re: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s Next: RE: [GZG] Need help, Colony population #'s

Re: [GZG] [FT] ?? on Streamlining as of FB1

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 14:32:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] ?? on Streamlining as of FB1

I've just realized the 'take quite a while'(sic) could give an out, if
you
accept a number of possibly contentious assumptions.

Some of us play relatively short games only, say 4-6 turns. If you also
assume turns of, say, 15 minutes, then an hour to an hour and a half of
continous burn may not be sufficient for a large planet soft landing.

Added to that an assumption that combat thrust, military power, is much
more than a ship could handle for longer periods, and streamlining could
be
a requirement again.

Of course, people will say 'why?', and handwaving concerning reaction
mass
or componet wear come to mind.

I'm the first to say it's not a lock, and many wouldn't accept the
majority
of assumptions, but it seems not unworthy as a fudge factor.

The_Beast

***snippage***