Prev: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics) Next: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:27:19 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Habitable solar systems (Was: [GZG] Real Astroplitics)

arguments are good reasons why a system with inhabitable planets would
have orbital habitats.

They don't answer the original question about why would you build a
habitat in a star system with no habitable planet.

Reasons why you might build a habitat in a star system with no human
planets.

Military base
For whatever reason the government thinks it needs a permanent presence
in the system. Maybe as a support or layover base for patrol craft.

Corporate base
The system contains one or more materials that is sufficiently rare to
justify the expense of maintaining a base and interplanetary shipping.
The corporation wants to engage in some very secret (and possibly
illegal )research project and needs a facility in a system where no one
knows to look. Also if things go wrong there is no contamination of an
inhabited system.

Colonisation
Maybe there is a planet that could be human habitable once the
atmosphere is reengineered. An orbital base could be a useful place to
oversee the initial stages of a teraforming process.

Prison
Maybe some kind of space prison for really dangerous convicts or
dissidents or those with bad dress sense could be exiled to a space
station in another solar system. No sense on wasting a habitable planets
on convicts. Could be combined with some of the other options above.

John