Prev: [GZG] Pics uploaded to my gallery. Next: Re: [GZG] brainstorming Supertrooper maintenance issues

[FT] Campaign terminology Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:11:42 -0500
Subject: [FT] Campaign terminology Re: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

David wrote on 04/27/2006 04:26:12 AM:

> Thanks for the URLS, Doug, I'll check them out.  Always
> happy to see what
> other people are doing.

My impression is more 'had been doing', but always welcome, I know.

> > Also, I don't think David gave his website for the
> description of his
> > battles; this is yours, right? Might save some of
> Nyrath's questions. ;->=
> >
> > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/litesmth/fullthrust/index.html
> >

> While I'd like to claim the cred, the website's by a
> friend of mine, Chris
> Harrod, who is the NSL player in our Stellar Conquest campaign.

Well, while I was wrong on several accounts, including that you HADN'T
put
that page in one of your posts, I take shelter in the imprecise nature
of
the English language. Yours, as in the gaming group of which you are
part,
and yours, as in your game. ;->=

I had noticed Chris's name, but still acknowledge Each participant's
work.

On another tack, just wondered if some terminology nailing might be in
order. We've been using campaign somewhat loosely, and appropriately so,
for a series of battles. I know that the definitions of types of
campaigns,
levels if you will, have shifted in military thought for a long time,
but
using/adapting some of the conventions would seem good.

As an aside, I still don't understand why it's called 'The Battle of the
Atlantic'. *shrug*

Now these ideas could more properly be represented by how much work you
put
into your campaign, for instance building ships would tend toward the
grand
strategy/strategy levels, especially if you factor in economics, but I'd
suggest for the time being that Grand Strategy involves whole
nations/empires. If the K's or S's get mapped, might have to change that
'species', but let that hold for now.

Strategic campaign would involve groups of stars; small enough not to
encompass whole nations, large enough to at least suggest economic or
complex logistic considerations.

Operational could cover the campaign as described in FTII, with a very
limited number of stars and play with the toys you bring, but my own
idea
would be representing a single star, as I tend towards a fairly complex
series of battles within a system.

Tactical campaign may be oxymoronic, but I'd still use it for a limited
series of battles, such as the hunt of the Lone Wolf.

These depend on some assumptions on movement times; if ships can move
all
over the place, destroying shipyards before new ships can be built, even
nations appear to be an operational map. HUGE YMMV.

The_Beast

Prev: [GZG] Pics uploaded to my gallery. Next: Re: [GZG] brainstorming Supertrooper maintenance issues