Prev: [GZG] Re: New 15mm now up on the store!! Next: RE: [GZG]FMARPS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

RE: [GZG] Re: FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:36:07 +1000
Subject: RE: [GZG] Re: FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

One of the strengths of the FMA suite of games is vertical integration
(up
to a point).  Few systems can handle going from RPG scale to squad scale
battalion scale with so few rule changes.  Most of them break down as
soon
as you introduce vehicles to the mix (d20 Starwars and d20 Dragonstar
had
major problems with this).  Palladium/RIFTs wasn't too bad, but got a
bit
silly in places (PCs able to survive getting hit with tank main guns,
etc).

One thing that becomes noticible when roleplaying; if the combat system
can
easily cripple or kill you, the players try to avoid combat and minimise
their die rolling the more they get attached to their characters.

I beta-tested a new system last weekend (SIL-RPG - www.2ndpass.com ) and
the
combat system is very lethal as they wanted to encourage roleplaying
(although I did manage to break it for combat - a PC that could survive
.50 cal without bodyarmour).

I have a bit of time atm, before I find out if I get several campaign
admin
positions (Ratik Triad for Living Greyhawk and Invisible King for Living
Arcanis), so I might go back and clean up the rules set.  I need to add
things like MAJOR SUCCESS effects to the skill checks and similar
things.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: [GZG] Re: New 15mm now up on the store!! Next: RE: [GZG]FMARPS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]