Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns? Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:10:50 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nyrath the nearly wise" <nyrath@projectrho.com>
> If one wanted to make a full strategic campaign
> set in the Full Thrust universe, what game would you use?
>
> I'm currently examining one called
> Victory by Any Means Campaign Guide
> http://www.vbamgames.com/products/
> which looks quite good.  However I have not actually
> played a game using it.
>
> I did have fun back in 1977 with an out of print
> game called Star Empires
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13415
> but that game has some serious problems.  Nothing
> that can't be fixed, but it needs some play testing
> and tweaking before it is playable.	But while
> I have a copy, it is almost impossible to find.

In order to answer your questions you need to define some more
parameters.
How much of the campaign do you want to be about the economics of
running an
empire and how complex do you want that to be?
At one end of the scale you have an economic management game where the
winner is the one with the most money (Kind of like playing acquire but
then
using the fleets to fight the takeovers)  or are you looking for
something
more like one of the big boardgames with lots of fleet counters.

Also what is the timescale your desired game? If turns are a few days or

weeks then you don't need to worry about building new ships,
introduction of
new technologies or repairs because you won't have time in your campaign
do much of these things.

If you have strategic turns of a year then you could build new ships,
introduce new technologies and ship classes and the drain on the economy

would be very important.

One thing that isn't discussed in the FT universe is how ships move
strategically. Are some ships faster in hyperspace or are all ship the
same?
In our campaigns we have strategic speed proportional to main drive
rating.
We found this gives people a good blend between the choice of having a
slower moving battlewagon and faster light ships.

Interesting to see where you want to draw the line.

John

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns? Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Strategic Campaigns?