Prev: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@p...>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:13:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Roger Books wrote:
> I think I may work from it.  Last night I was looking through an RPG I
had
> written several years ago and realized why this has a problem, the
same
> problem my RPG has.  It's a set of mechanics that are slightly more
> detailed wargaming rules.  It doesn't have anything to encourage
> roleplaying.
>
> It needs some rules to allow the heroic characters to have a chance of

> survival. I'm thinking of fortune points.  I'm not sure what they
should do yet.

> I'm also thinking of a system where the _player_ describes the
negative
> results of a bad role.
>
> This is a quote from Ken Burnside of Ad Astra Games:
>
> " 3) When performing an action, the sequence is this:
> Describe it! (go for that Upshift, it's why it's there!)
> Roll the dice.
> If the player rolling the dice succeeds, the GM describes what
happens.
> If the player rolling the dice FAILS, the PLAYER describes what
happens,
> and can, by clever description, mitigate the result. "
>
> I'm looking for more suggestions of this sort.

Well, there are the old stand-byes:

The Riddle of Steel and its "Spiritual Attributes"
(what Ken calls "Dramatic Hooks")
http://www.projectrho.com/rpg/riddleofsteel.html

Universalis the storytelling game:
http://www.projectrho.com/rpg/universalis.html

Universalis applied to wargames:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?t=5698

Prev: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG]FMARPG [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]