Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] More news on 15mm..... :-) Next: Re: 15mm Phalon vehicle recommendations? (was [GZG] [OFFICIAL] More news on 15mm..... :-))

Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:44:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Stargrunt II rules questions

On 4/6/06, gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu
<gzg-l-request@lists.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 21:07:19 +0200
> From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@telia.com>

> The main benefit of going hull down is that
> the vehicle gets harder for the enemy to spot before it opens fire -
so
> whether or not it should get a protective bonus for being in cover
> (signature die shift, secondary target's die, whatever) depends on
whether
> or not you assume that the SG2 "to-hit" roll includes spotting as well
as
> the aiming-and-pressing-the-trigger part of shooting. (I do make that
> assumption - without it there's no real reason why Size/1 vehicles
would be
> significantly harder to hit than Size/5 ones either - but I know
others who
> don't.)

I've been making that assumption, too.

> I'd ignore the SG2 GMS mechanic completely, and instead treat them
pretty
> much as any other direct-fire weapon - albeit with an extra UP shift
for
> being guided and extra DOWN shifts for the target's ECM.

Okay, so the firer would roll a Quality Die and a Guidance Die (which
is essentially the same as a Fire Control die). The Guidance Die is
shifted up one due to the weapon being guided (versus a
fire-and-forget missile). The Guidance Die is shifted down one for a
target with Basic ECM, down two for a target with Enhanced ECM, and
down three for a target with Superior ECM.

The target rolls a range die with range bands equal to 12" x the
target's size class. Being hull down would affect the target's size
class, effectively cutting the size in half or less (say a Size Class
5 tank is chopped down to Size Class 2 for being hull down).

Example 1: Size 5 tank out in the open. Enhanced ECM. Regular missile
team with Enhanced guidance.
SG2 rules as written (RAW) - Firer rolls D8 + D8, target rolls D8.
House rules (HR) - Firer rolls D8 + D6 (D8 up 1 for guided, down 2 for
target's enhanced ECM), target rolls D4 on most tables and D6 beyond
60".

Example 2: Size 5 tank is hull down. Enhanced ECM. Regular missile
team with Enhanced guidance.
RAW - Firer rolls D8 + D8, target rolls D8.
HR - Firer rolls D8 + D6 (D8 up 1 for guided, down 2 for target's
enhanced ECM), target rolls D4 up to 24" away, D6 24+ to 48", D8 48+
to 72", etc.

It would appear that in most instances missiles are better under these
rules (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

What if instead of shifting the Guidance Die down due to target ECM we
shifted the range die up due to target ECM?

Example 1a: Size 5 tank out in the open. Enhanced ECM. Regular missile
team with Enhanced guidance.
House rules revised (HRR) - Firer rolls D8 + D10 (D8 up 1 for guided),
target rolls D8 (D4 shifted up two for Enhanced ECM) on most tables
and D10 beyond 60".

Example 2a: Size 5 tank is hull down. Enhanced ECM. Regular missile
team with Enhanced guidance.
HRR - Firer rolls D8 + D10, target rolls D8 up to 24" away, D10 24+ to
48", D12 48+ to 72".

(The rules state that beyond a D12 for range a target can not be shot
at. However, in this case the range die is adjusted due to die shifts.
If we make the die shift open, we could shift the Guidance die down
for each die beyond a D12 for range. This is something I'm working on
with my enhanced vehicle rules.)

What do people think? I'm leaning toward the revised version myself,
but the way Oerjan put it might be more realistic.

> Sounds pretty accurate to me... but the SG2 vehicle-launched smoke
screens
> do seem rather narrow; IIRC real-world smoke screens tend to extend
some
> 50-70 metres to either side of the vehicle (so the SG2 screen would
consist
> of 5-7 2mu-wide cotton balls, rather than the 3 currently allowed).

So smoke dischargers fire at a set range? Okay, that works for me.
When I codify my enhanced vehicle rules I'll add more smoke balls for
smoke dischargers.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com