Prev: Re: [GZG] Albert W Cho is out of the office. Next: [GZG] Hello

[GZG] Funny thing, only worth mentioning because it's so quiet

From: "McCarthy, Tom \(xwave\)" <Tom.McCarthy@x...>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 12:19:43 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Funny thing, only worth mentioning because it's so quiet

I used to play a lot of GW games.  They were my introduction to
miniature wargaming, and it was the desire to have a space combat
element to my grand and epic WH40K campaign that led me to pick up Full
Thrust.

Some of the guys who I played with back then never got into Full Thrust
or SG2.  One of them dropped me a line the other day, wanting me to
playtest his wargame rules, which were to run skirmishes in a SF
background using WH40K models.	I agreed to give the rules a look-see.

Right off the bat, I saw this guy and I were still at very different
spots in the spectrum of wargamers.  He wants perfect command and
control.  He wants perfect morale, fight to the last man battles.  He
wants free selection of squad armament and weapons.  He wants "you go, I
go", where each side activates all their squads, then the other side
does.

What was interesting was him investigating notions like reflecting
changes in accuracy at range by changing the polyhedron you roll to hit
the target number (die shifts), or high strength weapons rolling larger
dice to wound the target (die shifts again).

He was a long way from Stargrunt, of course, but he'd also strayed a
long way from WH40K.  I think he may have even made 40K a worse game,
but I'll have to play it and see.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Albert W Cho is out of the office. Next: [GZG] Hello