Prev: Re: MORE Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] More news on 15mm..... Next: Re: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:56:53 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Mines

I would tend to think that a mine could do a passive sensor shot, and if
it
detects something that doesn't match IFF it simply blows up with a bomb
pumped laser directed towards the target or perhaps fires off as an
autonomous missile in a wait mode.  It would only need to draw enough
power
to run a computer core and the passive sensor array, which probably
could be
done with a small enough power source that masking the emissions from
enemy
sensors wouldn't be nearly as difficult as doing so for a full scale
interstellar vessel.

If it had even a small drive on it, it would probably be a lot more
effective, yes, but it would also be a lot easier to detect while it's
moving, so it'd probably have to do small bursts of thrust.