Prev: RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: RE: [GZG] Timescales

Re: [GZG] Timescales

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:44:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Timescales

Allan Goodall wrote:

> >I agree that the 5-minute turn doesn't make sense either from a
movement
> >rate or a rate of fire point of view, but it is what the rules
themselves
> >claim.
>
>Yes, but Oerjan you left out the part that was relevant to what Tom
>was saying. First of all, in the quoted text you left out a bit:
>
>"If it is necessary to determine how long a battle has lasted in game
>terms (eg. it is part of a campaign)..."

I left out the "(eg. it is part of a campaign)...", because campaigns
are
only one example of situations where you might need to know how long the

battle lasted; but I did quote the "If it is necessary... game terms"
part.

>And, quoting the SG2 rulebook, page 5, "Timescale":
>
>"Although a game turn might contain only a few sections of actual
>combat, the full turn may safely be assumed to occupy one or even
>several minutes of elapsed time."

Yes, but note that this "one or even several minutes" discussion comes
*before* the "If it is necessary ..." bit. The SG2 timescale section
discusses the SG2 game turn as being nebulous, but this discussion lands

with a statement that the turn should - in those cases where it is
important to know the "real-world" time elapsed - be treated as
"approximately 5 minutes".

>Oh, and don't expect Tom to reply, as he has dropped off this list and
>the playtest list, or is at least planning to.

Ouch. Was it I that drove him away, or were there other reasons? :-(

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX Next: RE: [GZG] Timescales