Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB Next: [GZG] [SG] Rapid force projection

RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

From: "McCarthy, Tom \(xwave\)" <Tom.McCarthy@x...>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:16:14 -0500
Subject: RE: [GZG] Stuart Murray's Games at GZG ECC IX

The things that keep Stuart's games moving include:
i) multiple activations
ii) platoon level units
iii) his urgings and pushing

i) and ii) mean you activate an awful lot of men and material very
quickly.  But that's fine, because most of the time, you're just moving
and not interacting with anything.  Platoon level units only had one
command rating and one morale level, but each 3-4 man stand could fire
independently.	With SG2 rules, a platoon quickly maxes out the
firepower die for small arms, and splitting fire between 3 targets still
lets you generate lots of suppression.

iii) is pretty significant, too.  Steve Barosi and I were really feeling
pressured to get all our stuff deployed and on the board quickly in
Sunday's 'Contact...'.	The time pressure was harsh, given that the
choice of how much to push onto the board that turn was one of our
biggest tactical decisions of the game, and after each turn Stuart
pointed out to us exactly where we'd left ourselves vulnerable to a
critical strike by the defenders.

The pace has its downsides, too.  During 'Victor', both sides missed a
rule clarification on leaders and travel movement, for example.

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] PSB Next: [GZG] [SG] Rapid force projection